What do Residential Advisors do?
Coordinate activities in residential facilities in secondary and college dormitories, group homes, or similar establishments. Order supplies and determine need for maintenance, repairs, and furnishings. May maintain household records and assign rooms. May assist residents with problem solving or refer them to counseling resources.
- Enforce rules and regulations to ensure the smooth and orderly operation of dormitory programs.
- Provide emergency first aid and summon medical assistance when necessary.
- Mediate interpersonal problems between residents.
- Make regular rounds to ensure that residents and areas are safe and secure.
- Observe students to detect and report unusual behavior.
- Communicate with other staff to resolve problems with individual students.
- Counsel students in the handling of issues such as family, financial, and educational problems.
- Collaborate with counselors to develop counseling programs that address the needs of individual students.
- Develop and coordinate educational programs for residents.
- Develop program plans for individuals or assist in plan development.
- Provide requested information on students' progress and the development of case plans.
- Hold regular meetings with each assigned unit.
- Supervise students' housekeeping work to ensure that it is done properly.
- Administer, coordinate, or recommend disciplinary and corrective actions.
- Confer with medical personnel to better understand the backgrounds and needs of individual residents.
- Answer telephones, and route calls or deliver messages.
- Determine the need for facility maintenance and repair, and notify appropriate personnel.
- Supervise, train, and evaluate residence hall staff, including resident assistants, participants in work-study programs and other student workers.
- Oversee departmental budget.
- Supervise the activities of housekeeping personnel.
- Compile information such as residents' daily activities and the quantities of supplies used to prepare required reports.
- Chaperone group-sponsored trips and social functions.
- Process contract cancellations for students who are unable to follow residence hall policies and procedures.
- Provide transportation or escort for expeditions such as shopping trips or visits to doctors or dentists.
- Order supplies for facilities.
- Assign rooms to students.
- Direct and participate in on- and off-campus recreational activities for residents of institutions, boarding schools, fraternities or sororities, children's homes, or similar establishments.
- Accompany and supervise students during meals.
- Sort and distribute mail.
- Inventory, pack, and remove items left behind by former residents.
Related Jobs (Residential Advisors)