What do Physical Therapist Aides do?
Under close supervision of a physical therapist or physical therapy assistant, perform only delegated, selected, or routine tasks in specific situations. These duties include preparing the patient and the treatment area.
- Clean and organize work area and disinfect equipment after treatment.
- Administer active or passive manual therapeutic exercises, therapeutic massage, or heat, light, sound, water, or electrical modality treatments, such as ultrasound.
- Instruct, motivate, safeguard, or assist patients practicing exercises or functional activities, under direction of medical staff.
- Record treatment given and equipment used.
- Confer with physical therapy staff or others to discuss and evaluate patient information for planning, modifying, or coordinating treatment.
- Observe patients during treatment to compile and evaluate data on patients' responses and progress and report to physical therapist.
- Secure patients into or onto therapy equipment.
- Change linens, such as bed sheets and pillow cases.
- Transport patients to and from treatment areas, using wheelchairs or providing standing support.
- Arrange treatment supplies to keep them in order.
- Maintain equipment or furniture to keep it in good working condition, including performing the assembly or disassembly of equipment or accessories.
- Assist patients to dress, undress, or put on and remove supportive devices, such as braces, splints, or slings.
- Perform clerical duties, such as taking inventory, ordering supplies, answering telephone, taking messages, or filling out forms.
- Administer traction to relieve neck or back pain, using intermittent or static traction equipment.
- Schedule patient appointments with physical therapists and coordinate therapists' schedules.
- Train patients to use orthopedic braces, prostheses, or supportive devices.
- Measure patient's range-of-joint motion, body parts, or vital signs to determine effects of treatments or for patient evaluations.
- Participate in patient care tasks, such as assisting with passing food trays, feeding residents, or bathing residents on bed rest.
- Fit patients for orthopedic braces, prostheses, or supportive devices, adjusting fit as needed.
Related Jobs (Physical Therapist Aides)