What do Occupational Therapy Aides do?
Under close supervision of an occupational therapist or occupational therapy assistant, perform only delegated, selected, or routine tasks in specific situations. These duties include preparing patient and treatment room.
- Observe patients' attendance, progress, attitudes, and accomplishments and record and maintain information in client records.
- Encourage patients and attend to their physical needs to facilitate the attainment of therapeutic goals.
- Report to supervisors or therapists, verbally or in writing, on patients' progress, attitudes, attendance, and accomplishments.
- Supervise patients in choosing and completing work assignments or arts and crafts projects.
- Manage intradepartmental infection control and equipment security.
- Evaluate the living skills and capacities of physically, developmentally, or emotionally disabled clients.
- Prepare and maintain work area, materials, and equipment and maintain inventory of treatment and educational supplies.
- Transport patients to and from the occupational therapy work area.
- Instruct patients and families in work, social, and living skills, the care and use of adaptive equipment, and other skills to facilitate home and work adjustment to disability.
- Assist occupational therapists in planning, implementing, and administering therapy programs to restore, reinforce, and enhance performance, using selected activities and special equipment.
- Demonstrate therapy techniques, such as manual and creative arts and games.
- Adjust and repair assistive devices and make adaptive changes to other equipment and to environments.
- Perform clerical, administrative, and secretarial duties, such as answering phones, restocking and ordering supplies, filling out paperwork, and scheduling appointments.
- Assist educational specialists or clinical psychologists in administering situational or diagnostic tests to measure client's abilities or progress.
- Accompany patients on outings, providing transportation when necessary.
Related Jobs (Occupational Therapy Aides)